Our mission is to save lives by recruiting and providing matched unrelated donors for bone marrow or stem cell transplantation to all Armenian and non-Armenian patients worldwide suffering from leukemia or other life-threatening blood-related illnesses. Due to the unique genetic make-up of Armenians, it is nearly impossible to find suitable matches among the existing international registries.
Hence the importance of maintaining a registry that would help facilitate recruiting and identifying matched unrelated bone marrow donors for ethnic Armenians.
Only 25% of patients inflicted with leukemia or other life-threatening blood disorders find donors within their families. The other 75% of patients’ lives depend on finding a perfectly matched unrelated donor.
How We Work
- Donor recruitments through walkathons, patient-specific donor drives, and participation in community events.
- Community outreach and education through social media, newsletters, and participation in community events.
- Facilitation of stem cell transplants by matching donors to those suffering from life-threatening blood-related illnesses.
- Autotransplantation procedures at our Stem Cell Harvesting Center in Yerevan.
- Stem cell and cord-blood harvesting and cryopreservation at our Stem Cell Harvesting Center.
- Research and development of new therapeutic technologies at our Stem Cell Harvesting Center.
- Fundraising through a variety of annual ABMDR events.
- Compliance with international standards through membership in world medical agencies and accreditation by the European Federation of Immunogenetics and Histocompatibility.
- Participation in international conferences and seminars in the fields of immunogenetics, stem cell research, and bone marrow transplantation.
- Maintain and continuously expand our registry and donor data bank.
- Coordinate and process patient search requests and provide marrow or stem cell matching services for potential bone marrow transplant recipients.
- Raise funds to type all donor samples.
- Continuously expand the capabilities of our Stem Cell Harvesting Center in Yerevan through research and development of new therapeutic technologies.
- Increase the number of autotransplantation procedures through our Stem Cell Harvesting Center.
- Establish a full-fledged bone marrow stem cell transplantation center in Armenia.
- Educate Armenian families worldwide.
- Expand into new countries with sizable Armenian communities.