- What is Walk of Life? Walk of Life is one of the many events hosted by Armenian Bone Marrow Donor Registry (ABMDR) in order to raise funds for tissue typing and educate Armenians worldwide about ABMDR.
Walk of Life is a fundraising and awareness-raising walk in two locations in US and an international virtual walk that benefits Armenian patients afflicted with Leukemia or life-threatening blood disorders.
Walk of Life is not just a walk. It is a life-saving event for Armenians and non-Armenians battling leukemia.
By joining us you will help someone with leukemia—you will give them an opportunity and hope for a second chance in life. What better gift or reward then knowing that you were an instrument in saving someone’s life? Each of our participants is a hero.
- What is ABMDR? ABMDR is a non-profit organization whose mission is to save lives by recruiting and providing matched unrelated donors for bone marrow or stem cell transplantation to all Armenian and non-Armenian patients worldwide who are suffering from leukemia and other life-threatening blood related illnesses.
Only 25% of patients afflicted with leukemia or other life-threatening blood disorders find donors within their families. The other 75% of patients’ lives depend on finding a perfectly matched unrelated donor.
Due to the unique genetic make-up of Armenians, it is nearly impossible to find suitable matches among the existing international registries. Hence the importance of establishing a registry that would help facilitate recruiting and identifying matched unrelated bone marrow donors for ethnic Armenians.
- Our Goals
- Create and maintain the registry and data bank of information of donors
- Increase the size of the registry
- Coordinate and process patient search requests and provide marrow or stem cell matching services for potential bone marrow transplant recipients
- Raise funds to type all donor samples
- Educate Armenian families worldwide
- Expand into new countries with sizable Armenian communities
- Why Walk? Every year thousands of people around the world lose their lives to leukemia and other blood-disorders that could potentially be cured by bone marrow transplant. In US alone every 4 minutes someone is diagnosed with Leukemia, and every 10 minutes someone dies of Leukemia. Leukemia accounts for one third of all childhood cancers. In Armenia, leukemia accounts for 40% of all childhood diseases. Due to unique genetic makeup of Armenians, the chances of an Armenian being a match for another Armenian, regardless of their birthplace, is much greater than a non-Armenian being a match for an Armenian.
When you walk, you raise funds for ABMDR to continue its work. You also raise awareness of leukemia and its potential cure. In addition to doing a great deed for someone else, you get to enjoy the benefits of exercising.
- How are the funds used? All ABMDR staff are non-paid volunteers. The funds raised at Walk of Life are used to tissue type donor samples, educate the public, facilitate bone marrow stem cell transplants for patients worldwide, expand into new countries with Armenian communities, and increase the size of the registry by recruiting donors worldwide.
- How do I register? Choose your Walk of Life Location. Click on the raise funds and register tab. Choose the option that applies to you.
You can also click here to start your registration process.
To register by mail, please contact ABMDR office at 323-663-3609 or mail your registration form (click here) to 3111 Los Feliz Ave. #206, Los Angeles, CA 90039
- I am having trouble with my online registration. How can I get help? If you have any problems registering, please contact us at 323-663-609.
- Click here to select the team you want to join.
- What is a Virtual Walker? Virtual walker is for people who cannot attend the walk.
If you are inspired to participate in Walk of Life but cannot due to location, work, or other reasons, you can sign up as a virtual walker. You will be supporting ABMDR and the real walkers, and will take an active part in fighting against leukemia.
Virtual walkers help us raise funds for ABMDR to continue our mission.
- Is my registration fee tax-deductible? Registration fees are not tax-deductible, and are not included in individual participant fundraising totals. Registration fees are nonrefundable and nontransferable. Your donation, on the other hand, IS tax deductible
- What do I do after I register? Once you have registered, we encourage you to begin fundraising. We encourage all individual walkers to set a goal of raising at least $100.00
If each walker asks just 10 people to contribute $10, then they reach their goal. Small donations from many people add up quickly and are a great support for ABMDR. Remember all the funds are used for the process of finding matches for our patients.
- Do children need to register in order to attend? Yes all participants must be registered. Registration fee for participants under the age of 15 is $15.00.
- Is there a minimum fundraising requirement? No, there is no fundraising minimum requirement to participate in the Walk. However we encourage all of participants to raise at least $100.00
- Do you accept donations by check? Yes.
- Do you accept matching gift? Yes, many employers have matching gift programs. These companies/employers match the donations made by their employees to non-profit organizations such as ABMDR. Please ask your company/employer if they will be able to match donations made by you.
- How will people find my team? When you email your friends and family, please give them the link to Walk of life. From the home page, they can go to the team link and type your team name.
- Can I upload my/team photo to my individual walk or team Page? Yes, you can
- What is fundraising goal? This is the amount that you want to raise in support of Walk of Life.
- Can I come to Verdugo park festivities even if I am not walking? Yes, we encourage the community to come support and join us celebrate our walk, and cheer their family members, friends, and colleagues as they finish their walk.
- How can I volunteer? To volunteer please click here to find out more about volunteering for a Walk for Life.
- Can I register on event day? Yes, we accept event day registration, however the registration fee is higher on the event day.
- Where do I park? You will park at Glendale Memorial Hospital Parking. We will have shuttles at Verdugo park that will transport our participants back to Glendale Memorial Hospital starting 10:30 am. The parking for the day is free.
- How do I get my Walk of Life T-shirt? You will pick up your T-shirt on the day of event.
- Can I bring my dog to the Walk? Yes on a leash
- Will there be refreshments and food at the event? Yes, we will have food, music performed by known Armenian singers, dance, and games at Verdugo Park.
- Will there be restrooms available? Yes, there will be restrooms at Glendale Memorial Hospital and Verdugo Park.